- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 ½ lbs. cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- ½ cup brown rice, uncooked
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup water or stock
- ½ tsp. oregano and thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Brown onion in oil in a large skillet
- Add turkey, oregano, and thyme to skillet and break up the meat as it cooks- for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the cabbage. Cover and let cool down for about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, rice, water, salt and pepper, and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook 55-60 minutes WITHOUT opening the lid.
- After 55 minutes check to see if the rice is cooked. If not, add ¼ cup more water and cook for 5-10 more minutes.