Though we have all heard the benefits of exercising and staying active, that knowledge does not keep us from having barriers or excuses regarding exercise. Below are listed common barriers to exercise and some suggested solutions.
- I don’t have time. 15 minutes a day is a good start. You can do simple exercises while watching T.V.
- I’m too tired. Moderate exercise can actually give you more energy.
- I’m too old. No matter your age or fitness level you can always find a way to be physically active.
- Exercise is boring. Find a fun or interesting activity. Dancing, listening to music while exercising, or finding an exercise buddy can make exercise more enjoyable.
- Exercise is painful. Talk with your doctor or physical therapist. They can suggest activities that won’t cause pain or injury.
- I’m afraid I will fall. Do chair exercises.
The best way to overcome barriers to exercise is to confront them and find ways around them!