Exercise is one of the best things to do in order to stay healthy. Follow these tips to ensure you are exercising safely:
- Talk with your healthcare provider before starting any new exercise routine. They can advise you on activities to avoid or exercises that can help improve your current conditions.
- Stretch. It is important to remain flexible to prevent injuries and make everyday activities easier to do.
- Know your body. Every person is different. What others can do with ease may cause you pain or be harmful to you.
- Consider classes geared for seniors. Tai Chi, water aerobics and balance classes are helpful. Walking is always a great low impact option.
- Drink enough water. Even if you are not thirsty when you exercise you need to stay hydrated. Keep water nearby when you work out and drink frequently throughout the day.
- Rest when you need it. Your body needs recovery time and it’s not recommended to exercise the same muscle group two days in a row.