Doctors recommend caution for the very young and the elderly when the temperature outside is hot. Extreme heat can severely stress your body; added humidity makes cooling down difficult. Follow these reminders if exercising on a hot day:
- Remain indoors if there is a heat advisory.
- Exercise indoors – do chair exercises, walk at the mall, or go to some other air-conditioned facility
- Wear lightweight, loose, and breathable fabrics
- Exercise early in the morning or late evening
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water
- Wear sunscreen outdoors
Check with your doctor before starting an exercise regimen; be aware of your limits or other personal medical risks.