- 12 oz elbow macaroni, wheat or whole wheat
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cups skim milk
- q cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 oz reduced fat cheddar (shred yourself)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- olive oil spray
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Spray a baking dish with buttered flavor non-stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter, add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk.
- Add onion and cook another 2 minutes. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese 1/4 cup at a time and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and baby spinach.
- Pour into baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more oil on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get breadcrumbs golden.