There have been many studies showing that older adults can take certain steps to improve their sleep. Read about a few tips that can help with getting a better night’s sleep as you get older.
- Exercise: It has been shown that those who exercise regularly fall asleep faster, sleep longer, and have better quality sleep.
- Reduce bedroom distractions: Televisions, cellphones, and bright lights make it more challenging to fall asleep. Try to turn the TV off before falling asleep and move electronics out of the bedroom.
- Avoid substances that discourage sleep: Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and large meals late in the day can affect your sleep.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule: As you age it is much more difficult to recover from lost sleep. Try to avoid changes in your sleep schedule. Go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
- Develop a bedtime routine: Try to find activities that help you relax before bed. Some examples include a bath, reading, or even just having some quiet time for yourself before bed
Source: Rob Newsom, sleepfoundation.org