Eating a balanced diet, which supplies all the necessary nutrients for health, is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Keep these key factors in mind that can influence your nutritional health as you age.
- Calorie needs- as we get older our metabolic rate declines which can lead to unwanted weight gain and increased risk for certain chronic diseases.
- Protein- we need protein for tissue growth, repair, and maintenance. Even though fewer calories are needed as we age, it is important to get the right amount of daily protein.
- Dental Health- good dental hygiene practices can help prevent periodontal disease.
- Taste- the senses of taste and smell are sometimes dulled by the aging process. To preserve your taste and smell try to stay hydrated, resist overusing the salt shaker, and use herbs and spices to enhance the flavor of food.
- Water- getting enough fluid is needed for almost all bodily functions. Try to drink 1.5 to 2 liters per day.
Source: Harvard Health